From our experience it can generally be said that one does not need any additional training to film or edit a 360°-video if you are already acquainted with the production process of video. However, a few things need to be kept in mind when approaching filming and editing for 360°-video.
- Remote Operation: In most cases the camera operator does not need to handle the camera while filming. In such cases the camera is operated remotely via a mobile app. Therefore, bear in mind that you may need to have a mobile device ready if you plan on remotely controlling your camera
- Positioning: Positioning the camera can be challenging if you want to achieve a realistic viewing experience. Rule of thumb is: level the lens with your chin in order to get the best viewing experience.
- Framing: Capturing the complete scene with a 360°-camera is relatively easy as you will always record your complete surroundings. However keep in mind that there is a front facing and back facing lens. Be sure to face them accordingly as the stitching process may introduce minimal artifacts at the merging points of both lenses.
You have three options when it comes to editing your 360°-video
- Vendor software: Use what comes with the camera and work with what you get. Some vendors (e.g.: Ricoh) only offer a stitching software and others (e.g.: GoPro or Insta360) offer additional editing software to crop, refocus and stitch your video. In this case you will not have many editing options.
- Open Source: Use any available video editor which is available as free software or comes with your operating system + an open source 360° meta data injector.
- Windows: VLMC (VideoLan Movie Creator) https://www.videolan.org/vlmc/
- Apple: iMovie (this is non-free software, but ships with any Apple OS)
- Linux: VLMC (VideoLan Movie Creator) https://www.videolan.org/vlmc/
- Meta Data injector for edited 360°-videos:
- Spatial-Media: https://github.com/google/spatial-media/releases
- Proprietary Software:
- Wondershare Filmora 9: https://filmora.wondershare.com/video-editor/video-editor-download.html
- Pinnacle: https://www.pinnaclesys.com/en/landing/360video/
- Adobe Premiere: https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/video/virtual-reality.html